Cold February

I should never gloat.  Not that I was gloating.  But I did say that our moderate weather had been a blessing.  Then we got blasted, of course. The weatherman said today we were on our way to the third coldest February on record. 

It isn't all bad, though.  Did you read that the cold weather will most likely kill off lots of the invasive stink bugs.  The ones hiding in the garage and storage addition will most likely survive.  We certainly hope to see less of them this summer.

The birds have been very hungry which gives me an opportunity to invite them into our yard with fruit, nuts, seeds, mealy worms, and water.  There is heater in the water feature so it supports a lot of winter drinks. Some even bathe in the freezing weather.

One of the birds that I only see during periods of snow and low temperatures is the lovely Varied Thrush.  We have been listening to their mournful sounding call every day with appreciation.  They must be singing their thank you for the hospitality.

I took this photo out my back door with the digital zoom.  Our neighbors across the fence have colorful shutters which made a striking backdrop to his orange and black.
 



Another delight of the snow is hosting grandchildren.  Caboose spent the weekend with grandpa and grandma while his dad took the older brother to visit a small university in northeast Washington and his mom took his sister to a rabbit show in northwestern Oregon.  

The Caboose built a snowman with us and his dog Keira.  She chased snowflakes and was no help.  In fact she grabs your gloves and runs so you'll chase her.    Then Caboose went sledding with his cousins at the park.  Yet, he said he still didn't have his fill of snow  when he had to go home.

The photo on the right is one our daily walks with another pair of grand dogs, Mugsy and Chance.  Mugsy thinks he's the boss. 



The beauty is another plus.  Here is our backyard which has a magical quality with the snow still frosting the trees.  The other photo is from  the other day when we were driving past Wallula Junction.  The Columbia River looks cold and forbidding as it flows past the mouth of the Walla Walla River.




I don't know how much longer the cold will hang around.  The weatherman won't admit that he doesn't know either.   

You know another reason I am thankful?   I don't have to get up and go drive  every morning to  work.  I just stay in my PJs and a blanket and watch the world from our back sliding door.  





Comments

Your snow is way prettier than ours! I bet yours will be gone before ours too. I am thankful I don't have to go to work in this weather either:)

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it