Thankfulness

November is a month "Thank" full.

If I allowed myself to pause each morning, just the daily list of overlooked blessings would go on forever.  Starting and ending snuggled warm and cozy in my own "blankie."    Yes - I do admit that I have my special bedding that goes with me everywhere.  I'm thankful for it.

Thanksgiving is the holiday during the month that most Americans celebrate in some way.  Our traditions are anchored in family and food and football.  That last one slipped into the national mood over the last quarter of a century, and our household has not been exempt.  This year we will be with daughters.  They are my special reason for giving thanks this year.

Another day of remembrance in November is Veterans Day.  The saddest part of this day is that we are not running out of them . . . the Veterans. We keep adding to their ranks.  My prayers for these men and women are always of grateful reverence.    The old ones were called forth and most stepped up.  The younger ones volunteered...for a multitude of reasons.  I am convinced, however, that because of the optimism of youth, none expected to be sacrificed, wounded, or forgotten.   This year we should all pause and show our appreciation.  Seek out at least one to encourage, support, and thank this day.  

My very personal Thankful Day this month is our wedding anniversary.  Thirty-five years is a major milestone?  Probably.  The one who is the most constant, however, is my husband.  He is forgiving, long-suffering, and far more optimistic than his wife.  Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve him.   For him I am more than thankful.  

(Sayre Smiles is hosting this thankful theme.  Join in HERE!)

  

Comments

joanygee said…
Our ideas of thankfulness are similar, except that here across the pond we don't have Thanksgiving. Hope you have a lovely time with your family.
Karmyn R said…
I"m thankful for you!
Sayre said…
Beautiful! I am thankful for those who serve in the military - I have a brother in Kuwait right now, and a cousin who just finished up a tour in Afghanistan and is now stationed in Germany. Another brother is a vet, as are two of my uncles, my FIL and one of his brothers. My grandfathers both filled that description as well. What they do allows us to be who we are.

Thanks for playing!
karisma said…
Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday. I wish we celebrated it here rather than all the commercial based ones. I try to be thankful for something every day, even on bad days. There is always something positive to find in a situation. Well I like to think so anyway. ;-)
Jan n Jer said…
What a great post Pamela...Thankfulness is something we should all pratice everyday of the year and I think most of us do. Life is so precious and its the simple little things that count!
Jill said…
congrats on your anniversary!
Sandy said…
Great post! 35 years is indeed a major milestone...congratulations! I share your thankfulness for our veterans and daughters and optimistic friends.

and blankies? who doesn't love a good blankie? I have my favorite also...even the dogs are not allowed on it!
Steve Skinner said…
For me, my list of things for which to give thanks is nearly endless!
I am thankful that someone else will cook thanksgiving dinner:)

Congratulations on 35 years..that is indeed a milestone. Your hubby sounds like a gem..and worth keeping awhile longer!

Our Veterans deserve much more than a thank you..I am always in awe of their sacrifices.
I have a pillow and a blankie I take to our daughters when we stay overnight there..I cannot sleep without that pillow:)
Amanda said…
Your girl are thanksful for you and Dad, too! <3

And I don't blame you for lugging around your blankies everywhere you go. They're super comfy!

Congrats to you and Pops on your anniversary. What a beautiful thing!
JoeinVegas said…
35 years? With the same guy? wow
Intense Guy said…
Congrats on the 35th anniversary!! I bet your husband is just as thankful as you are - to have had the luck to meet and marry such a wonderful woman - its nice to see couples that "figure out" marriage.

And I will - seek out and remember a veteran - a certain Lt. Commander Franklin Mousley, USN.
grammy said…
Yes indeed a month to be Thank..full
We have so much to be thankful and grateful for...
daughter just got back from Africa and oh my... they have so little. Yet so many of them are so happy.
Enjoy your month and time with the daughters and family!!!
mark said…
Congratulations on 35 years! I'm wearing my poppy for Remembrance Day and we're thankful for having Thanksgiving in October in Canada.
Living Life said…
Very nice! And congrats on 35 years!! That is a major milestone! My hubby sounds alot like yours. I too am soooo thankful to have him in my life. He is often taken for granted.
DesLily said…
wow..you must be old to be married that long! *snort* (I would have been married 46 yrs if I hadn't gotten a divorce! gawd, that's disgusting!)
Kila said…
I'm thankful for you!

35 years, wow, congratulations!
Peter said…
Congrats on your 35th Anniversary I sometimes wish That I'd been able to emulate it.... other times I'm THANKFUL that I didn't.
C... said…
Great post! :) Congrats on your long and happy marriage.
Kathleen said…
Congratulations on your anniversary. That is a milestone and what a wonderful testimony your are to your kids. I agree, I have so much to be thankful for and you mentioned primary things... It was a beautifully written post.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the Jane Austen link! Now that's a mystery!
Yes 35 is a milestone! (of course, even if the 3 wasn't in front, I figure anything that ends in a 5 or a 0 is, but that's just me!) It's much too easy to say this is too hard, and opt out than to stick to it. Congrats!

I hear you about the creation of more vets. So very sad what we humans do to each other....

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ms. Kathleen said…
Hope your doing alright!

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it