Stories From Auntie Fern - 2

On Christmas Eve we encouraged auntie Fern to remember and share some of her childhood celebrations. This one was probably somewhere around 1915 :

*******

Oh! When I was really small, we hung our Christmas stockings, and we got an apple and an orange and I don't know if there was more .


We were excited to get that.


So Paul and Roy, they hung theirs up again the next night.


And you know that Grace, she decided to find something else to put in them. I don't know what she put in - probably something silly.


And, then those boys hung them up again the next night. And Grace found something else to put in them.


(Aunt Fern begins to chuckle at this point. We love to hear her laugh.)


On that third morning Grace really surprised them.


She put dried horse manure in their stockings.


That ended it.


******

Comments

Anonymous said…
Eww! Naughty Grace!
DesLily said…
I like Grace! LOL..
fabulous story. love aunt grace!!!!
Peter said…
Yay for Grace!!!!
Can't beat these old stories Pamela.
Unknown said…
Ewww! That would stop me. Seems my stocking always had apples and oranges and nuts - weird.
Anonymous said…
ROFL, I think there is a lesson in there about pushing your luck...
Gattina said…
Hahaha ! but that was Christmas, my Grandma also got similar things. We today get an Apple Computer !
darkfoam said…
great story !! .. lol ..
Anonymous said…
Gracie sounds like my kind of lady ! So happy for you that you had the opportunity to hear stories like this one. I'm sure it gave her great pleasure sharing them.
Kim said…
So funny. Reminds me of my granny.
I don't know her but already I like your Aunt Grace a lot.
Coffeypot said…
Man, that was a shitty supprise for the boys.
Anonymous said…
I love Auntie Fern's stories!
Molly said…
Of course, dried manure would not be much fun for the receiver, but I understand that little children were delighted to get apples and oranges in early times as those were generally not available in the winter.
karisma said…
Geez she was even worse off than my mum! LOL! My mum at least got a skipping rope with her orange!
Stacey Olson said…
LOL.. good woman... so glad you are sharing these special stories.. thank you.
LadyStyx said…
*LAFFFZ*!! Priceless.
Kaytabug said…
LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!! What a great story!!
A Spot of T said…
I'd love to sit and listen to Aunt Fern, I love hearing stories of the 'good old days'.
Wendster said…
That's it. I am inviting Aunt Grace to my house. But only on stocking day 1 and 2. Aunty Fern can come too and tell us stories. These are great.
Jill said…
at least it was dried and not fresh

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it