Drivin' Truck - Dreams and Memories

I had a dream last week that I actually remembered the next day.
My Aunt Delores made an appearance in it.
Delores, who will be 88 this month, was married to my mother’s younger brother and is the last surviving member of that generation.
She still drives to the grocery store, to church, and to her volunteer shift at the local hospital gift shop. She also babysits her 2 year old great granddaughter every weekday morning.
She's a good cook and a great conversationalist. There is really nothing elderly about my aunt except her age.
In my dream, the hubby and I were on a trip to California. Our return trip included plans to pick up Delores, who was visiting her son in the Bay Area.
We were shocked when her son asked us also to drive one of his companies huge semi-trucks back to our town.
I probably was tossing and turning at this point in the dream. I just didn’t know how we were going to drive both vehicles safely. I knew that the hubby would have to drive the truck. I can drive a manual transmission, but I’m sure I couldn’t handle a big rig like that.
I asked Aunt Delores to ride in the truck with the hubby to keep him awake. I would drive the car alone - I’ve done that long road by myself several times.
When we approached the subject of putting a trailer hitch on the end of the semi truck to haul the car, the acid reflux must have started stewing.
I woke up and had to prop myself up. So, I don’t know if we got that semi-truck home or not.
The next day I called Aunt Delores and shared. She laughed heartily, of course.
I told her that as neither of us could drive that truck, the dream left me feeling a bit helpless.
“Hold on there a minute,” Aunt Delores huffed! “I can drive a semi.”
This was news to me and at first I thought she was jesting.
“No,” she answered. “When we lived in Cle Elum, Bill was driving long-haul and would get in very late at night. We didn’t have a car, so he taught me how to drive that semi.”
“Where did you drive it?” was my astonished response.
“Mostly just to church.”
She paused, then shared, “I’d get the kids up, dressed, and we’d all pile into the cab of that big truck and off we’d go. By the time we got home, he’d be awake and ready for lunch.”
Then she told me that Uncle Bill had insisted on teaching her to drive it with the trailers attached.
She was able to drive up the road and back to the house and park it.
I heard the sentiment in her tone when she added, “After the last lesson I turned to him and said 'There! Are you satisfied, now!'”
I had a great laugh with her.
Now I’m wondering if I should drum up that same dream tonight.
I can put Aunt Delores behind the wheel of that big old truck and we can head on down the road. It would be the perfect time to write down some of her stories.
Here they were - 70 years ago this month.
In love until the day he died, and she loves on.

Comments

LadyStyx said…
Isnt that funny when stuff like that happens?
A Spot of T said…
Has anyone ever told you you should write a book? You really should. I just love reading your stories :o)
Shelby said…
THAT is a delightful story! :)
Anonymous said…
OOHh I love your story!! please write more on them!! I love your last line!! it brought tears to me!!
Heather Plett said…
I love Aunt Deloris! She's my kind o' woman! (Although, when my husband was a truck driver, I never learned to drive.)
Anonymous said…
Maybe this is why you are so creative and quick-witted...you can remember your dreams in DETAIL. I don't even remember if I even had a dream, much less remember what happened in it !
Love your family history stories. What a treasure for your children and their children to have.
Anonymous said…
She sounds like quite a lady!

I seldom remember my dreams; they're gone as soon as I climb out of bed, as I instantly have too much else on my mind!
I agree you should write a book! I would love to read your words as I rock in a rocker on the front porch....
Jenni said…
What a great story! She must be some woman! And such a sweet way to end the post too. May we all be so fortunate as to find a love like that.
storyteller said…
You do have a lovely way with words and know how to tell a story to draw your readers in. Thanks for sharing about your 88 year old Aunt and her unique driving proclivities ;--)
Hugs and blessings,
Amanda said…
Maybe I ought to go sit with Aunt D next time I'm in town, write some of HER life story! She is such a neat ol' lady. One of my favs. I can't believe she can drive a big rig!! (but somehow, I believe it!!)
Beckie said…
Aren't dreams a hoot!?

What a lady that Aunt D is!
Tiggerlane said…
Isn't it amazing, what we can learn about people, if only we ask? That is so incredible!

I would totally FREAK if I had to drive a truck that large. Something tells me your aunt would just pop behind the wheel and go for it! Even if she hadn't done it in years!
karisma said…
Amazing lady! I still do not even drive a car! Shame on me! I don't like it!
Walker said…
Granny's a trucker! Who knew? LOL Great story.
Desert Songbird said…
Amazing woman, that Aunt Deloris. Amazing.
DesLily said…
awww, beautiful beautiful Pam!
Unknown said…
I have sat in many a truck but couldn't drive one. :) My favorite line - "Mostly to Church" - LOL!
Peter said…
They bred 'em tough back then Pamela, having just spent a couple of weeks sharing the road with thousands of huge trucks, ours have 42 wheels or more if they are "road trains", I take my hat of to the drivers.
MarmiteToasty said…
Loved this post..... so loved it..... you really should think about getting a book done with all your wonderful stories....

The old photo is so very precious...

x
Karen said…
Cute story... it's great that you have the picture with you still.
Carla said…
She sounds like quite a lady. I bet there isn't much she can't do.
darkfoam said…
wonderful story..!!!
i love old stories like this. i wrote of few of my mother's down who is 85 years old. i'm so glad i did since she has alzheimers now...
love the photo too.. :)
Wendster said…
What a great story. Usually, in my weirdest scariest dreams, I am in my classroom and it isn't until the bell rings that I realize I am naked and need something to wear.

All I ever find is saran wrap.

The luckiest find was holiday printed saran wrap.

Why doesn't the roll ever had more than a couple of feet of wrap on it?
Anonymous said…
Pamela that's a great one. Don't sell us short we can do most anything anyone else can do Especially when the power is already suppled like that. Rose
Hayden said…
wonderful. absolutely wonderful. I love it when the elder generation can surprise us like that. I hope I do the same for my younger relatives. It stretches the mind in a really wonderful way....as in, filled with wonder. literal meaning on the word...
Junebug said…
What a great story! Precious too.
Anonymous said…
I love your stories about your relatives (and the other ones too). Aunt Deloris sounds like a spunky lady and I think you might be following in her path. You may be blogging when you are 88, or some other popular computer thingy.

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it