R.A.M. into the wall

One morning last week, I was surprised to see an SUV on the side of the street about ½ mile from our house. Something totaled the vehicle. The front end was a V shape ending in the front seat. There must have been a serious injury. Where was the other car, I wondered?

The next morning, the wreckage gone, I saw the other half of the crash. It was the stone wall surrounding one of the town’s historical homes, a Victorian mansion.

A rock musician owns this property. When the musicians wife purchased the house a few years back she decided to return it to its glory days.

At first, I was stunned when the painting began. Every day on my way to work, I watched the progress. I also noticed a number of curious strangers parking along the road to review the restoration. In the beginning, I thought it was going to be gaudy.

The contractor installed an electronic gate and security lights. They kept the beautiful old stone wall, but a mason was required to repair a section that had been destroyed by (you guessed it) a collision with it. Then, less then two months later, the same patched portion was broken and scattered by another middle of the night marauder.

In the 28 years we have lived on this street we have probably seen at least 18 crashes into the same general area. Some were low impact. The crunch last week was the worst.

The street that ends in the T intersection has a visible stop sign. Everyone who lives in our end of town knows the territory. One could guess at the possibilities of what might cause this type of accident.

Unfamiliarity? Poor visibility? Distraction? Anger? Suicide?

Disgruntled R.E.M. fan?

Comments

Shauna said…
Wow! The fence would tear a vehicle up. . .It's amazing the number of people that don't pay attention when they are driving.

Pretty, pretty house. . .not sure I would have picked pink but it does remind you of a dollhouse. . .
BarnGoddess_01 said…
Holy cow! I'd one mad chicky if that were my old fence.

the pink is suprisingly nice. I love restored Victorians, a HUGE project for anyone........unless they have an endless bank account.

In my tiny town, some 'well off' people moved here from out of no where and restored the biggest, oldest Victorian type house in the area. It is an electric blue and it looks very nice.
Masago said…
Maybe some crash barriers need to be installed in front of the wall. :-)
its_amyia1977 said…
Well you know me...I love pink so I loves that house!! Gorgeous! So who owns the house Pamela?? Ya got me curious!! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!
Kila said…
Oh, I do hope the fence can be repaired.

We have some bright Victorian houses around here too. I love 'em.
~grey said…
Beautiful photos....

It must be because Every body hurts, or maybe it was the Man in the moon.
Ms. Kathleen said…
I am sure it will be fixed better than ever but I agree, people need to be careful! That house looks amazing. I love old houses. You live in a gorgeous area.

Oh, and you have been tagged for a meme! :)
Claudia said…
Pamela, thank you for posting these. Ever since you told me about it, I was wondering what it looked like!! Thank you! I love the colors...
SongBird said…
Beautiful property. I take it that a member of REM owns the place?
Pamela said…
YES... to those who asked.

A member of R.E.M. owns the house.
I don't think I would know him if I saw him.
Bonnie B said…
Bummer! That is one beautiful house. I'm glad they restored it. Now if people would quit hitting the wall. I'd be crushed it that kept happening to my house. When you work that hard on something, it tears your heart out to see it torn to pieces.
Karmyn R said…
I've seen the inside entry of the house - HA! Selling chocolates as a CampFire Girl - C and I were brave enough to actually knock on the door. Of course, no one famous lived there then!!!
Robin said…
1) Maybe the people were "losing their religion" when they crashed ;) and 2) REM got their start in my hometown, but don't tell any would-be stalkers, okay?
Anonymous said…
did they fix it ivy

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it