My Town

I don't want my town to change.

The sunsets are amazing. There are four seasons. In 45 minutes you can be in the mountains skiing, or boating on the Snake or Columbia River.

Raising children was easy here. There are elementary schools in every neighborhood. The town hosts a Community College, an award winning liberal arts college, and a parochial college that is becoming a University. There are many extracurricular activities such as sports, theater, and art.

The availability of health care, housing, public transportation, and a quiet life are amenities that attract older people.

A city water park was voted down on election day. I voted for it because because I think it would be a great diversion for the children, and I planned on taking my grand kids there when they came to visit. I knew it would raise my taxes, but that's a given in all areas with the change in the government.

Crime has been on the rise and everyone has his/her theory on that. I'll leave that one alone.

This fall my town was chosen by Money Magazine as one of the top five places in the United States to retire. This picture was one that accompanied the article. (They probably didn't mention that all the streets need repair.)

In the spring, summer and fall all the downtown eateries have tables on the sidewalks. Starbucks and two other coffee stops keep their tables out all winter and they are always full (unless it's 10 below, which happens occasionally.)

The local newspaper has a series of articles planned that will cover the changes, good and bad, and how the valley is adapting. The hubby mentioned the other day how we couldn't afford our house if we were moving into town today. The newspaper article mentioned the very same thing. The price of housing has gone up rapidly in the past couple of years. The bad news is we're close to retirement age. The good news is if we decide to retire here we don't have to worry about buying a house we can't afford.

We fell in love here, married, reared three daughters, kept our house in good repair, and flowed with the way of this valley. We have extended families where we work, where we play, and where we gather for church. It has been and is a wonderful place to live.

I don't want my town to change.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahhhhh. Change.

It probably will...

I'm amazed every time I return to a previous town I've lived in (there are a few;))

If it's been a while, I find huge changes. Like I have to exit now to get into town. I used to just turn left.

Wierd.

I know what you mean. Sounds like a great place. Maybe you could just put a "closed" sign at the entrance to town?
Susie said…
How ironic that you posted about this. This was the topic of conversation on our walk today, but also including how our town has changed. (and not all in a good way)
Your town sounds like a great place to live though!
:)
Helene said…
prior to my recent move I lived in a lovely village. It really was that too. We sold our house for almost 4 times what we bought it for and the people who purchased it paid cash. No matter what, their presence will change the feel of that street if not that town. It was happening all over the neighborhood. I think it will always be a wonderful place, but it will definietly be different!

On the flip side... we dont have a mortgage in Florida thanks to them! *wink

cheers! K
C... said…
Sometimes change is good but sometimes it is sad.
Anonymous said…
We can't stop progress no matter how much we want to.

When I went back to my hometown (totally country small town) a few years ago I found that they'd opened up a Starbucks. I cried and I can't explain why.
Claudia said…
Yep...you make it sound horrible...i mean, sheesh, cafes, outdoor tables, amenities...how can you stand it?
Masago said…
...dragged along kicking and biting. :-)
Amanda said…
Every time I come home to visit, something new has come to town. I guess it is to be expected. Every good thing gets found out eventually. Our home town was bound to get dicovered eventually.

As much as I looked forward to leaving, I still look forward to coming back. It will always be my home... so many friends, so many memories both good and bad. If you and dad ever sold your house, I think I would die! I would, at the very least, cry a whole bunch.

And I remember the sunsets. I remember driving up in the hills and watching the sun set over the valley. It was one of Jordan's favorite things, sunsets. And that town certainly has some beautiful ones.

Change IS inevitable, but some things would be better left alone.
Nan said…
Great post. Okay, so now you have me itching to know just what town this is because I know we drove by it last week! Was it one of the ones we loved? Was it off the beaten path? I have an inkling...
What a sweet post though. I can imagine how you feel even though I grew up in the Suburbs of S.F. and there is no way that it would qualify as small or quaint. It was still *home* and when I see it changing it's like part of my childhood is gone.
Nan
willowtree said…
Sounds like it's going to get worse if the usual American mentality embraces the Magazine article (think Cabbage Patch dolls and Tickle Me Elmo)
Karmyn R said…
Growing up I SOOO wanted the town to change. It was the most boring place in the world to live.

Now that I'm an adult - I don't want it to grow and lose its quaintness and sweetness.

The wine industry has done some fabulous things for the area - but also, turned it into something it was never meant to be.
Robin said…
It's funny, we've been away from our home town for three years, and every time we visit, we see the changes...but the friends who still live there are almost unaware.

When I go back to my childhood hometown, I'm floored by the change! It was an idyllic place to grow up, but now the pace seems so much faster!

A lovely tribute to the place you call "home" :).
Anonymous said…
run for mayor silly. ivy

Popular posts from this blog

Apparitions in my Garden

An Old Cold Spot

I Can Almost Smell it